Monday, September 20, 2010

Sympathy

I have always struggled with having sympathy for my "typical" children while they are sick. Jason reminds me often when they aren't feeling well that, "you can tell they aren't Emmie!" She got the royal treatment when she was sick. Because when she was sick... she was on the verge of being admitted to the hospital. Well...both my girls have been sick with a cough for the last week. No fever, just a constant annoying dry cough. I keep telling J.. "it's viral and it will run it's course." You see... I have a sense when it's viral vs. bacterial because I have been through this with Emmie more times than I can count. J has been bugging me to take the girls to the Dr. all week last week so we can all get some sleep! Finally this morning, I gave in. When I walked in to the Dr. office I knew why I was trying to put this "first" on the back burner. As soon as I saw our Doctor my eyes filled up with tears. They have been such a great support to me over the last 8 years with Emmie. They ask me what I need and the quantity etc. I tell them and they write the prescription. I had his cell number on speed dial. They know that mom knows best with a special needs child. With my other children it is different. They take charge. It was a relationship that I can't describe but I know I will miss it. Yes, I will still see them when I take my other kids in but it's just different. I was right though.... it was viral! Just the typical breathing treatments, cough medicine and "it has to run it's course" saga. I figured but I just needed to please my hubby! I need to work on having some sympathy for my other kids now that Emmie isn't with is. It was good to get that "first" over with. A hard one I might add.... because they were so kind to Emmie. They truly loved her and sent the most beautiful flowers when they heard the news. I have established some amazing relationships through Emmie. Ones I have been missing so much but am grateful to have had them.

5 comments:

Lydia said...

Thinking of you every day!

Tracey said...

Dr. Triff Check is the bomb!

Tammy and Ali-O said...

Tiff,
After reading your blog I thought....Maybe Tiffany needs to feel sympathy for herself.. When your able to feel with in yourself, your able to feel it outside yourself....Your entire world has turned upside down..
Mothers always feel the need to be strong. Just remember you have strong hands all around that will help hold you up. Let them...

Tears fill my eyes as I write,,l I feel your broken heart,,look up my friend and let the light of the Great Spirit take care of you.,,let the spirit of Emmie take of you....let your family take care of you...

Sending you my nightly prayers, the love from my heart,, and my two arms I wrap around you and your family.

I love you kiddo,,I aways will,
Tammy

Cami said...

Your so brave. Thinking of you always. I really am. Hang in there.

Kim said...

Tiff... I just can't imagine. I know exactly what you are talking about regarding the Dr. and not having much sympathy for the other kiddos. It is just different.
Love you guys and we pray every single night for comfort for you guys. xoxo